Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fuego! Fire!

There are some interesting customs here in Spain.  Tuesday night I had planned to go to bed early when my roommate told me that it was the Festival of San Juan and also the start of Summer.  So about 11pm tuesday night we set out with a couple friends to find the party.  And this is what we found:


Basically, it was about 6 fires (out of control in my opinion) all  over this huge open area where everyone was jumping through them.  The children would jump over the small fires and the young me (read:  stupid people) would jump over the big fires.  It was crazy.  Lots of people were drinking too.  So apparently festivities like this take place all over Spain on this day (night of June 23rd).  Who knew?  So I was telling my roommate and her friends that I didn't think something like this would ever take place in the US b/c of the potential for injuries...and our propensity to sue.  What do y'all think?  Would something like this be allowed?  Keep in mind that it was composed of children, adults, teens, families, etc.  It is definitely a cultural event.



Can you see the person in the fire?


My roommate and I

Yesterday I started to walk home but then decided to walk up the big hill dividing the university from the country.  Not sure why, but I just felt like it.  I did and here are the pics:




On my way home, I happened upon a fireman scaling an apartment building.  Well, as far as I could tell there was no fire.  He seemed to be chopping away at lose cement on the building.  The only reason I could figure he would be doing this (and not a construction company paid by the apt building) would be if the lose cement posed an immediate danger.  Course, I have no idea.


How come when I order a cup of coffee in the states, it doesn't come out like this?:


And since I keep mentioning San Fermines, I'll explain for those who don't know.  Ernest Hemingway made Pamplona, Spain famous to the whole world back in the early 20th century through his book "The Sun Also Rises" which talks about the running of the bulls in Pamplona.  This cultural event takes place over 7 days each year in Pamplona and started back in the 13th century.  In fact, it is the highlight of the year for this small city with the whole town shutting down for a whole week.  It is based on St. Fermin.  However, the  main events each day are composed of a 4 minute run of about 6 bulls that "chase" the runners into the bull ring.  Like I said, it lasts only 4 minutes each morning but thousands of people run.  The last person to die during this event was back in 1996 and of course was an American tourist.  The second main event each day is the bull fight where different bullfighters kill different bulls.  It's a horrific event that I will never watch.  However, I have seen pictures that make me want to cry.  Anyway, there are lots of other events like parties, concerts, parades, plays, etc during the week that I will be partaking in.  

1 comment:

  1. The stupid idiots who went to UNC (I know, redundant) jump through fires after basketball games

    ReplyDelete