Monday, June 8, 2009

Pamplona first, then San Sebastian

Saturday I spent touring Pamplona.  I walked all over the whole city.  I had no idea it’s so gorgeous.  It was one of the main defensive cities in Spain against France b/c it’s so close to the French border.  In fact, leaders from all over Spain would come to copy the fortifications created to defend this city on a hilltop.  Pamplona has a great defensive position because it sits up on a hilltop.  Although it rained off and on all day, I got some great shots. 


View from the defensive walls looking down toward the river Arga.


A real draw-bridge!  No water though :(


So there's this park 3 blocks from my house that has animals.  If you look closely you can see deer, goats, ducks, geese, peacocks, and chickens.  Um, I just think it's completely random.  But it's my new favorite place to just sit and enjoy.  I just love being around animals.  Right now they're repairing the walls so the animals are more confined but usually they have a whole lot of room to walk around in.

 

View from the river looking up at the defensive wall surrounding the old part of the city.

Inside the cloister (maybe?) of one of the main churches.  This was about when I got kicked out b/c apparently it's closed on Saturdays.  I was wondering why it was free to get in and no one else was there.  That's what they get when the signs are in Basque and not Spanish.



Supreme Court of Pamplona - where I saw the case about the forged parking ticket last thursday.

Saturday night I watched a movie with my roommate – “Shadowlands.”  We watched it in English but Paloma promised me that she understood everything.  Hmm, maybe she understands english better than I thought.

Sunday I went for a run and then met up with one of the Navarra law professors and headed to San Sebastian.  San Sebastian is considered by most to be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.  It is where the royalty in Spain used to vacation in the summer.  It is about an hour north of Pamplona on the Atlantic Ocean.  It is an absolutely gorgeous city. 

We had lunch in a popular place in the city.  My friend grew up here so he was an awesome tour guide because he gave me all the historical background to everything.  I was having a little trouble with the menu del dia (menu of the day) so he “helped” me.  Hmm, my lobster turned out to be crayfish with the eyes and everything, my fish came out covered in an inch thick of salt complete with its head and tail.  Next time I’m going with the steak and fries which is what I really wanted.  At least the chocolate tart for dessert was good!  As was the white wine.

 

We also took a funicular to the top of the mountain there.  Absolutely beautiful views.  We took what was supposed to be a relaxing train ride around the mountain – at least that is how it was described to me.  However, I don’t think this roller coaster ride was a result of a loss of translation – I think this was a joke being played on me.  I had to hang on for dear life. 

Views from the top of the mountain:


Had to stop for a beer at the top of the mountain!





 

Pic on the way driving back to Pamplona

 Random pics:


This is an example of a typical intersection in Spain.  See if you can figure out how it works...I still can't.

 

Not many people have a dryer in Spain.  Most people hang their clothes on a clothesline our a window.  Paloma has this thing for our clothes.  It's not too bad considering our "senora" then irons all the clothes - including my PJs.

1 comment:

  1. Just don't get married by accident. The pics are beautiful. I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete