Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Final Thoughts on Spain

I've only been here 7 weeks so you can take this is a grain of salt.  But here are some things I've noticed in my short time in Pamplona.

1) The Spanish people do not seem to have a sense of patriotism like the people in the USA.  This fact was pointed out to me by a very accomplished member of the Pamplona city council.  He said that the one thing he envies most about the USA is our sense of patriotism and nationalism.  The Spanish people, for the most part, do not have that.  

2) Along the same lines, there seems to be no strong affiliations with sports teams here besides the football (soccer) teams.  However, even that is not broadcast.  I mean, there are NO bumper stickers on any cars.  In the states, I have my UGA sticker on my car.  But here, no bumper stickers on any cars.

3) I do not like eating lunch at 2pm and dinner at 10pm.  By noon I am starving and I don't like going to bed right after dinner.

4) Don't the people here get sick of the same food all the time?  All it is is bocadillos (sandwiches with ham, tortilla, or cheese), tortillas, and paella.  

5) I love how the Spanish try to conserve things - everyone recycles and there are even individual lights for restroom stalls.  And when people leave a room, they usually turn off the lights.  Here, in my section of the library, there are automatic lights that go on and off as you pass.  Not to mention that people walk most places.

6) I hated the exchange rate.  When is the dollar gonna get back it's value?  I really did not enjoy paying $7.50 for a smoothie.

7) If you don't have a small dog, you're not cool.

8) No females every wear shorts working out.  Sexism is what I call it.  I had fun breaking that rule :)

9)  EVERYONE says "Buenas Dias" and "Hola" and "Hasta luego" to EVERYONE.  They are so nice to each other.  

10) Pan (bread) is the bread of life here.  And coffee with milk goes along with that.

11) Drinking wine/beer with lunch is expected.

11) Flowers are a must decorating the balcony of your apartment.

12) Regular work day:  9:30 - 2:30pm; 4:30 - 7:30pm.

13) There are no dryers.  Everyone sees everyone else's underwear drying.  I find this strange.  But I like it.

14) Sometimes the locals can understand me better when I speak english than when I speak spanish b/c apparently my accent is so bad.

15) No tipping - ever!  A blessing and a curse.  Saves money but service stinks!

16) Sodas come with lemons and everything (beer included) is always poured from the bottle into a glass.  Classy in my opinino.

17) Wine is cheaper than a soda.

Just some thoughts!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment