This morning I woke up at 9am. I slept so well! I barely heard my 3 roommates (who I have yet to meet) come in and all the festivities last night didn't bother me either.
Then I put on my walking shoes and started exploring the city. First I passed by the Sacrada Familia. It is probably the most famous icon of Barcelona - it is a church designed by Gaudi although it's still not technically finished. They estimate it will be completed by 2010 - that's almost 120 years since it was begun. I have no idea what's taking so long b/c I was too impatient to pay and take the tour. That's 1 thing to know about me when I travel - I hate to wait in line. I also do not enjoy touring churches. I also hate to pay for things.
So after the beautiful Sacrada Familia, I went to Gaudi's Casa Mila (La Pedrada). I actually paid for this ($4.5 euros) but was able to get a student discount by showing my UGA law school ID - sweet! I thought this apartment complex designed by Gaudi was beautiful.
(When you are touring by yourself, you get creative when trying to take pics of yourself. P.S. the guy behind me is thinking how much of a genius I am. Ok, not true. He actually did the same thing right before me and I copied him. Course, he was with people so he just looked stupid doing it.)
The roof was the best part with funny designed chimneys.
Next I walked down La Rambla - one of the most famous streets in Europe. It is a 1-mile long stretch of road where there are all kinds of shops, food places, musicians, and flower sellers.
Scary dressed up street people
I bought some fruit and a fruit (strawberries and coco) smoothie (yum!!!!) at the mercado.
Then I walked through el Barrio Gotico (Gothic neighborhood). It was beautiful with it's old and windy streets and apartments. I loved it!
Why can't our ice cream stores display the ice cream like Barcelona?
Reason #1 why Spaniards have a better life than us - here are some older men drinking at a street cafe at 2:30pm in the neighborhood. Lucky ducks.
Then I walked back to La Rumbla and bought a cappachino at an outside cafe. I sat there a long time - especially considering my cappachino cost about $8 american - reading my guidebooks and sipping my yummy drink.
Then I walked all the way to Guell Park.
Another reason Spainards have a better life than us - here are a bunch of older folks just sitting outside watching people and enjoying the weather.
Guell park is was designed by Gaudi as a park in a very privileged part of town (b/c it has such a beautiful view of the city and harbor).
I loved the park.
Then I walked back to my hostel cutting through some beautiful neighborhoods near the Parc Guell - apparently the neighbors aren't big fans of people "cutting through" their neighborhood.
I probably walked over 7 miles today. Needless to say, tengo cansada!
You should have been in a lot of pics. I should have been holding the camera! :-(
ReplyDeleteI've been there! It's been a long time, but I really enjoyed Barcelona. And you're right (well in your next post), you don't eat dinner in Spain until 10 pm at the earliest. You'll get the hang of it soon - sleep in, nap, and stay up late! Good luck starting "work".
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're having an awesome time Katie! I am so amazed by how much traveling you have done the last few years. I went to Barcelona with Kristi when we were in Europe and we were equally cheap. This brings back good memories :)
ReplyDelete