Wednesday, July 8, 2009

And it begins...

Here are some pics from my stroll home on Sunday - i.e. before the storm (San Fermin revelers).  Everyone was still setting up.



Paella anyone?



Monday (July 6) marked the official beginning of San Fermin.  It also marked the beginning of my time in Pamplona with no work to do.  This was a blessing and a curse - a blessing because, well, I have no work.  A curse because, um, I have nothing to do for 8 days.  Luckily, I was invited by my favorite prominent attorney in Pamplona to a get-together at his office to celebrate the beginning of San Fermin.   He was very nice to invite me considering everyone else there were either his family or his good friends.  But his office is located very close to everything so it was cool to be in the center of things.  The official beginning of San Fermin starts at noon with the launching of a rocket from the Town Hall.  As soon as it's launched (you can hear it from anywhere in the city b/c it's VERY loud), everyone went crazy.  I had to duck flying champagne, wine, mustard, ketchup, and beer.  Here's a video of right when the rocket (chupinazo) went off:




Pic of the President of Navarra being interviewed on TV.  I met him and he gave me his card when I was visiting the Parliament!!!



The whole town literally wears red and white only for 8 days.


A mini-keg, that's how you do it.  I don't think they sell kegs in Pamplona.



I then stayed around and enjoyed some of the yummy free food and champagne.  And I fell in love with one of his friends son - Pablo.  He was VERY good-looking.  Ok, so he's only 8, but trust me, he's gonna make the ladies swoon when he's older.  He took a liking to me (a strange American whose spanish is terrible) and proceeded to talk to me the entire time.  I was happy b/c I had a friend!  Oh, and he was adorable :)


I left around 1:30pm and headed home.  I didn't want my rainbows (sandles) to get dirty among the crazy people.  I then enjoyed watching the festivities on TV safely from my sofa.  I am not a fan of crowds.  Then that night, a few of us walked a couple blocks to the ciudadella to watch the fireworks.  It was a crisp night with a beautiful moon and I quite enjoyed myself.




I'm wearing red, see!


Tuesday I got up early and met some friends (i.e. friends of my roommate) and we walked into town to watch the procession.  This consisted of all the town leaders walking to the Cathedral followed by the statue of San Fermin.  I wasn't able to see the Deputy Mayor who I'm now friends with because there were too many people.  Some parts of the city were absolutely disgusting with food, wine, beer, and trash everywhere.  My shoes were sticking everywhere.  And the stench were horrific!  But the city was going through with water trucks spraying the streets so that was helping.  We also bought some churros with chocolate that were quite good.  




Dirty, yucky streets




My roommate and I rented a video - Boy with the Striped Pants - that was decent.  I didn't like the ending though.  Kind of stupid.  But I love movies so I enjoyed it!  


I attempted to go camping today.  It didn't work out so well.  I walked the 20 minutes to the bus station at 9am this morning.  Even though I only plan on being gone for 1 night, I had 3 bags.  So it was a long walk.  I passed a bunch of people walking home after the bull run this morning and lots of people passed out in the park trying to sleep.  I bought my ticket for $7.50 and at 10 got on.  The bus ride was beautiful driving north toward the french border with lots of mountains covered in trees.  At about 11am I arrived at the campsite.  I was excited!  I went to the reception and requested 1 tent for 1 person.  She told me the price.  And then I asked where the tent was.  She was like what?  She said the tent price was for my OWN tent.  I said I don't have a tent.  I asked if they had room in the hostel.  No.  I asked if there were any hotels decently priced nearby.  No.  I asked when the buses returned to Pamplona.  She said there is only 1 bus a day and it was passing through in 20 mins.  So, I went camping for 20 mins.  Then I paid another $7.50 and boarded the same bus (now empty) that I had been on before.  The bus driver thought I was insane.  


So, I have now borrowed a tent and am ready to try this again.  Sadly they don't have fires here in Spain so I won't be roasting smores.  I do have all the ingredients though so will just have to eat them cold (so disappointing).  And this camping solo thing should be interesting.  Here goes nothing!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Katie I love your story about your camping trip. I'm glad you're trying again, hope it works out better next time! At least you were able to catch the bus back to Pamplona! :)

    ReplyDelete